Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Den na Evropa.

First, I have a bunch of pictures to post. I've just had some problems getting them on the internet.

Second, today is Den na Evropa, the Day of Europe. What I find most amusing about this holiday is that 9 May used to be an entirely different holiday - Den po Bedui, which means...I don't know, exactly, because it's Russian. (Day of...something or other.) It marks the end of World War 2, and this morning on the news, they showed the big ceremony in Moscow, complete with marches and Vladimir Putin staring down at everyone.

But some years after the end of World War 2, the European Union was founded on 9 May (which I haven't researched, but I doubt the day is a coincidence). And so now it's Europe Day. To celebrate Europe Day, for whatever reason, the kids get to run the school - and lord preserve us - the town. So far, nothing has been destroyed, but it's still only noon. Two of the best eighth graders "taught" my second grade class this morning. I think maybe they now have a clue of how tough teaching is.

Right now I'm in the teachers' lounge. We're listening to patriotic Russian songs, very loudly. My colleagues who also have a break this hour are singing along and laughing.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heaven help us all if the place is being RUN by children :) Good to hear from you again, Kyla--Happy Europe Day! Cheers from cousin Kathleen :)

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home